Sunday, September 19, 2010

Post 4: Through the Guards Eyes

I hate my job, just staring at the ocean day, after day, after day. It is always the same, no one ever show up. No threat is ever posed. Why me? Why do I have to be the only person in this entire land that has to sit here and stare at the big, blue, pointless ocean? Honestly, why could I have not been a warrior like the other men? Or better yet, A King. I could do Hrothgar’s job better than he. He can’t even keep Grendal out of his silly little hall. What kind of king is that? Clearly, he should be doing this job, not me.

Funny, it looks like there is something on the horizon, a boat maybe… no. There is no way; my mind must be playing tricks on me because I have been looking at the plain ocean for so long. There cannot possibly be a boat. There has not been a boat in what seems like ages. But, it seems to be getting larger and coming closer. Maybe it really is a boat, maybe someone really has come to our land. Yes, it is a boat. For once my job is interesting. But who is it, could this be danger? Hopefully it is help for our fight against Grendal. It is most definitely a ship, a ship that has now landed on our banks. And men are disembarking. There are not many though… how could so few men come to fight? Are they a threat?  (The men disembark and talk to the scout, he then returns to his thoughts).

So they are not a threat, they are here to help protect us from Grendal. The King will be happy that they are here to help restore order. But how can this man be here to help if he only has fourteen men? He can’t honestly think that he can defeat Grendal like that? I mean yes, he is in very good shape and it looks like he could easily take on twenty men by himself and win. He is the picture of health and all of his men seem to be in perfect shape as well. They have the proper armor and the proper training from what he has told me. But it seems like he is a little cocky to say the least, if he thinks that he can take on Grendal with just fourteen men. This man is either insane or just overly arrogant. The king will be happy but now I must take this man and his troops to him and assign someone to watch their weapons. Maybe just staring at the sea was better than actually working… at any rate this man might actually be a hero. He does indeed have potential. He is by far a noble man it seems. I guess the fate of the great hall is in his hands now.  (486)

5 comments:

  1. Excellent!!!! I really liked how you depicted the Danish guard as a grumpy, dissatisfied man, whose job has made him bitter. I also really enjoyed the overall progress of the guard's thoughts. I thought you did a really great job, and I feel that you made your entry very unique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzz this is great! I can definitely tell that you wrote it. It is very lizz rodie. Anyways, I liked the writing it seemed very cartoon ish. I loved how it was all in the man's head and no one else knew what he was thinking (well except the reader but you know what I meant). Great job i enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, I thought your blog was very creative. Your story "through the guard's eyes" had a very unique perspective. For instance, I loved your introduction about the guard's thoughts: staring at the ocean, wishing he too could be a soldier. I thought you showed the guard's thought process clearly from when he first sees the boat to when he describes Beowulf. I also really liked your style of writing. In particular, I enjoyed how the guard is always asking himself questions because this seems so natural and realistic. Great job Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz,
    Oh My God!!! This was hilarious! I loved your take onthe perspective of the coast guard! I wrote my post from his point of view as well, but you took it in a totally different direction and I loved it. You took a lot of authorial (don't know if that's a word) license and I think it worked out fantastically! His dissatisfaction with his life is such a contrast to how the text descibes him that this seemed like a very unique satirical piece about Beowulf. Absolutely loved it! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any piece that starts "I hate my job" always makes you wonder why. And then you explain why. Nice.

    ReplyDelete